Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Gardening at Midsummer

Time for a break from politics.

Here are some pictures of our place at midsummer. In this heat and sun, the greenhouse and garden are as productive as they've ever been. What a huge difference from our cold, cloudy summer of 2008. We're instituting more organic practices this year than ever in the past, including an attempt at more rational composting.

1:00 a.m. yesterday, looking up toward the garden. The Klamath skiff is careened, getting ready for new floorboards:

Greenhouse tomatoes:

Greenhouse basil (I can't believe how fast it is growing):

Greenhouse rosemary:

Young garden zucchini - they'll begin ripening next week:

Beets, awaiting severe thinning tomorrow:

Green beans, Chinese cabbage and young lettuce:

Mature spinach:

Young broccoli:

Picked over rhubarb - we've had two big harvests already:

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thia makes me so happy to read!

I would like to be a swift slug in your garden and avoid detection and eat to my sluggy heart's content!

nom nom nom

Philip Munger said...

too warm for slugs this year...

Jackie said...

Looks like you've been working hard! Speaking of slugs - that's what I've been this summer... No garden growing other than my perennials, and they need weeding. Don't know how you keep up with the blogs & work too!

Anonymous said...

Phil, your vegetables look fantastic! Enjoy!

basheert said...

Wow, how fantastic is that? Love your pics. We are "brown" right now...nothing growing.

This weekend Sat/Sun are supposed to hit 116 - the pool is 91 (too hot to swim).

Thanks for your wonderful and very cool pics.

jo in ak said...

Hey Phil, love your garden photos, my broccoli is huge and just beginning to form its florets. I wish I'd planted more basil, too many radishes and now they've bolted.

I have honeybees and I'll tell you they are going to town with this warm weather!

Anonymous said...

who cares?

Anonymous said...

If it stays hot I'm afraid the broccoli might bolt.

A long time ago, after Pinatubo erupted in the Phillipines, we had a couple cold summers in Fairbanks. But wow, the broccoli and cauliflower were amazing, dinner plate size and larger. They like cool.

Anonymous said...

Anon @ 9.44 - I care and so do many others. It's great to see a personal side to bloggers lives outside the snark and pull of politics.

If you don't like it why take the time to comment - surely you have better things to do? It's clear that Phil has.

Blue_in_AK said...

Beautiful garden, Phil. Mine is doing quite well this year, too, and I'm very happy that Jim is will be building me a little greenhouse this summer so next year I can have tomatoes like yours. They look yummy. :)

AKPetMom said...

Your gardens are GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing. Hope you've been down to visit the Palmer City Garden at the Visitor Center cabin as it is looking very lovely (and loved) this summer.

Anonymous said...

We are "brown" right now...nothing growing.


___________________
Julie
Free HD DVR Receiver Upgrade