Sunday, June 7, 2009

Palin Fires Women's Health Champion - Public Health Director Beverly Wooley

from Department of Public Health Director Beverly Wooley's resignation letter, dated Friday, June 5, 2009:

Dear DPH Team – You are an incredible group of individuals whose efforts make a positive difference in the lives of thousands of Alaskans every day. It has been my honor and privilege to serve as your Director these past 20 months, but the time has come for me to move on. I’m sorry I was not able to personally convey this news to many of you, but time did not allow.

I will be leaving state government service, effective July 1, 2009, per Governor Palin’s request.

It has been a blessing to work with such a diverse array of talented people – the DPH Team! Your compassion and commitment to public health is remarkable. I am thankful for the time we have shared in service to the people of Alaska, helping to inspire and shape public health practices and policies for the benefit of all people.

Even though your deeds to protect and promote the health and safety of our residents aren’t always acknowledged, they are appreciated. Thanks to all of you for helping to make our communities great places to live, work and play. Keep up the strong work.

I’d also especially like to thank Dr. Butler for his strong leadership, immense knowledge and unwavering support. He is undoubtedly one of the best Chief Medical Officers I have ever had an opportunity to work for.

I will miss all of you, but I leave you with a very competent and committed DPH Leadership Team. Working collaboratively, I am confident you will continue to provide Alaska residents with the excellent public health services they have come to rely on.

I look forward to working with you again in the near future. Until then, I wish you peace and good health. Take care of yourself and of each other. Please keep in touch. Beginning in July, my new contact information is:

[Deleted for privacy]

With warm regards,

Beverly K. Wooley
Director, Division of Public Health
Alaska Department of Health and Social Services

11 comments:

EyeOnYou said...

Thank You for posting this! I am going to be very interested in seeing what, if any, explanation Gov. Palin gives for requesting the resignation of Beverly Wooley.

Speculation has it that it could be due to differences in matters of women's health issues, but I am quite sure that Palin will never admit to something like that.

I do wonder if it will be something to the effect of ..combining jobs for smaller government growth or Wooley not "on the same page" as Palin (that seems to be a reoccurring theme with Palin).

heh..wv is draten..how appropriate with it comes to palin.

crystalwolf aka caligrl said...

Wonder what she means "I look forward to working with you again in the near future. Until then, I wish you peace and good health."
Does that mean in the near future there is no GINO???
Maybe the iceberg going to take her out Heh!!
Does anyone else wonder what Bev meant by that?

MrsTarquinBiscuitbarrel said...

So she was fired for believing in actually pursuing women's health matters? Here's hoping that the full story comes out soon, and that Alaska women get the personal medical attention they need and deserve!

CelticDiva said...

"I look forward to working with you again in the near future..."

Begich Administration, maybe?

I can imagine if Palin found out someone was being wooed by Begich, she'd be pissed off enough to fire them.

I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and this is pure speculation on my part, but it would be nice!

mlaiuppa said...

So, did this happen after her attendance at the Alaska Teabaggers picnic?

If so, well, you can't have women holding public office. She needs to go back to the kitchen and take off her shoes.

Gee, you wouldn't think Palin had any more high school BFFs left to appoint to vacant government positions.

KaJo said...

Wonder what she means "I look forward to working with you again in the near future. Until then, I wish you peace and good health."

I'll bet it means "heads up, all of you, Palin isn't done -- get your resumes updated, 'cuz when she comes back from NY, she's got an ax."

I'd sure love to see Palin's high school year book. Who ISN'T working for Palin in the state of Alaska executive branch? And why not??? :P

(ha, ha, my WV is "bling")

sauerkraut said...

Seems Palin doesn't want bright women working for the state government. Plus, I'm willing to bet that Wooley dressed appropriately while representing the state.

Wonder if Palin will bother to explain why she asked Wooley to step down. It will probably be hidden under the tired old "it's a personnel matter" excuse.

Aussie Blue Sky said...

Bev Wooley got a better deal than Talis Colberg. He didn't get the chance to even broadcast an email to his department - although the news of his departure was sent by someone else from his computer - under his name! - the next day.

I'm with you, KaJo. She's on the warpath again.

Anonymous said...

So why does the NY Times article today say that Governor Palin DID NOT ask her to resign?

Anonymous said...

Palin Fires Women's Health Champion - Public Health Director Beverly Wooley


___________________
Julie
Free HD DVR Receiver Upgrade

Anonymous said...

So what does she know about someone's birth records, do you think?