Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Coverage of Tuesday's MOA Civil Rights Ordinance Hearing in Local Media

Last night, Progressive Alaska was able to get some photos up of yesterday evening's MOA civil rights ordinance hearing, just a little behind The Anchorage Daily News, who had already posted a short article by Don Hunter, and 17 photographs by Erik Hill.

Hunter's article isn't nuanced, and is totally incurious as to where all those kids in red came from, but has some good quotes from the testimony. Erik Hill's photographs provide useful context on the crowd scenes.

I wanted my photo essay to show a bit of the strangeness of the kids in red, and their interaction with Mrs. Alaska. Apparently, Miss Alaska was there too, supporting the anti-ordinance crowd.

Gryph at The Immoral Minority has written two excellent articles yesterday and today. His personal story about his daughters' coming out is one of the best essays Gryph has penned. His description of his time in the Assembly Chambers yesterday, and meeting with other progressive bloggers afterward, is very informative, and hits hard in places:

I listened to testimony after testimony, becoming more and more frustrated by the pain in the voices of the LGBT community and the lack of compassion on the other side. I wondered several times how they could not be moved by what they were hearing, but even after five hours it was clear that they were never going to change their opposition to this ordinance. Jerry Prevo had sent them into the battle with one goal in mind and they were not going to let their leader down.

Mel Green at Henkimaa has posted the first of a series of essays on the meeting, and has put photos of the meeting up at her photostream.

AK Muckraker at The Mudflats has posted pictures and a long post about the meeting and the scene's ambience.

Bent Alaska had a few photos up, early this morning.

Even Winston's Mom, which is NOT a political blog, posted photos and an article that discusses Winston's mom's testimony in favor of the ordinance's passage:

What did I speak about? I spoke about the 14th Amendment, which guarantees equal protection under the law for all citizens. I spoke about the Golden Rule, that we should treat others as we would like to be treated. I told the Assembly that I'm a big believer in both of these principles. I said that sadly, there have been some groups that have needed to have their protection under the law specifically spelled out. I said that it was time that the GLBT community get that same protection under the law that all the rest of us enjoy.

Typically, the ADN Newsreader makes no mention of this excellent coverage.

Update - 9:00 p.m: The ADN Newsreader has posted links to some of our coverage of the hearing, along with other links and explanation. Thanks, Mark.

images - Mrs. Alaska getting ready to lead kids into hatred, fear and ignorance; Strange neo-Nazi wannabe grassroots "organizers" for Prevo's minions - Progressive Alaska

13 comments:

Blue_in_AK said...

Off topic, but I see that the wacko who shot up the Holocaust Museum is a Palin supporter. Aren't we proud?

Anonymous said...

OT, too. @Blue_In_AK, if what you say is true as reported, it is the end of Palin's career, for sure. There's so much footage of her campaign rallies last year with extremists in attendance, shouting horrible things. She did nothing to stop it. And it goes on to this day on the web sites that support her.

Blue_in_AK said...

Here is a quote attributed to Mr. von Brunn "The same Media went to great lengths to scandalize & destroy Sarah Palin. She maintains a 91% approval rating among voters from all parties, thanks to the Internet and investigative journalists who don't work for the mainstream media." I found that here: http://jeffrey-feldman.typepad.com/frameshop/2009/06/dc-holocaust-museum-shooting.html (Sorry, I don't know how to make these links show up.) A lot of interesting information there.

And sorry, Phil, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I think this is damning of SP and her hate speech on the campaign trail.

clark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
clark said...

blue, you MUST know how to place a hyperlink in this day and age.
quick explanation.

Blue_in_AK said...

I'm old, Clark. I don't even own an iPod or a cell phone. Thanks for the link. :)

Anonymous said...

Clark, I'll do it for Blue in AK. Here you go:
Jeffrey Feldman's blog

mlaiuppa said...

Miss Alaska and Mrs Alaska should take note that Carrie Prejean is now the FORMER Miss California.

kellie davis, Anchorage Family Examiner said...

Phil-- May I use this picture of Mrs. Alaska? I don't think you are getting my email. I supported the Mrs. Alaska United States pageant at my Examiner page and had a sweet picture of Renee Scott being crowned. These pageant girls have no clue that drag queens and gays are all over pageants and give the best advice, not to mention are some of the finest people around. Of course Mrs. Scott probably has a sense of martyrdom, so she will like this, maybe she will pray for me. thpt.

I took the picture of her down, but I am keeping pics up of the other contestants because they are not abusing a tiara.

Philip Munger said...

Kelie,

PA's policy is that it is OK to use images if you credit Progressive Alaska in your use. Thanks.

Mrs. Alaska America fan said...

That is, BTW, Mrs. Alaska U*N*I*T*E*D S*T*A*T*E*S. Rita Corwin (Mrs. Alaska A*M*E*R*I*C*A) would not have let her contestants be like the Harley Davidson queen.

You may want to make it clear who she represents, Laura's model and talent.

Philip Munger said...

MAA fan,

I have no idea what you're writing about. You men there's more than one Mrs. Alaska at a time. I'm pretty ignorant of beauty pageants. Our family is more into sports.

Anonymous said...

nd it goes on to this day on the web sites that support her.


___________________
Julie
Free HD DVR Receiver Upgrade