Sunday, August 9, 2009

PA Arts Sunday - August 9, 2009 -- August




Some art for August:





I. Redwood Haiku for Judy:


rising, massive trunk

reaching through clouds to the sky
feeling its power







II. August -- by Mary Oliver:

In 1999 I wrote a song cycle for mezzo soprano Sherri Weiler and pianist Juliana Osinchuk, called Summer Songs. The cycle set three poems by Pulitizer Prize-winning poet, Mary Oliver.

The first of the three, August, runs through my mind every year when I come down to Washington State in early August, to visit family and friends. We often pick blackberries, which Judy mixes with our own raspberries back in Alaska, to make the most yummy jam in the world.


Here is Mary Oliver's poem:

When the blackberries hang
swollen in the woods, in the brambles

nobody owns, I spend

all day among the high
branches, reaching
my ripped arms, thinking

of nothing, cramming
the black honey of summer

into my mouth; all day my body

accepts what it is. In the dark

creeks that run by there is
this thick paw of my life darting among

the black bells, the leaves; there is
this happy tongue.

And here is my setting of her poem, sung by Sherri Weiler, accompanied by Juliana Osinchuk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WTF, that was a stupid poem..