Thursday, July 15, 2010

Maurice "Moe" Bailey Passes

Maurice "Moe" Bailey, the founder of Alaska Veterans Aviation Outreach, president of Vietnam Veterans of America Mat-Su Chapter 903 and 2007 recipient of the Alaska Governor's Veterans Advocacy Award, passed away Wednesday. He had been fighting leukemia for a couple of years.

Moe was very active in Alaska Veterans activism and his outreach project brought medical attention, medications and other important materials to Alaska veteans who live off the road net.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski has released a statement on Moe's passing:

I am profoundly saddened by the loss of my dear friend, Maurice "Mo" Bailey, who will long be remembered as one of Alaska's most significant veterans' leaders. Mo reminded us through his daily life how one person can truly make a difference in the lives of others. His was a life of service, humility and grace.

A disabled veteran who battled the VA bureaucracy to obtain the benefits he earned through his service in Vietnam, he gave his all to ensure that Alaska's rural veterans could overcome vast geographic challenges and obtain their earned benefits. The Veterans Aviation Outreach, which Mo founded with fellow veterans, created a lifeline through which rural veterans could apply for their benefits, obtain transportation to Anchorage for medical appointments and network with fellow veterans, which is so important to healing the emotional wounds of war. This is critically important work that must continue.

There is little doubt in my mind that Mo's selfless sacrifice on behalf of Alaska's rural veterans will inspire others to ensure that this vital lifeline for rural Alaska's veterans is not lost.

Maurice Bailey's memorial service will be Monday at the National Cemetery at Ft. Richardson.

images by PA - Moe and Diane Benson in 2008; Mark and Jacob Begich with Moe in 2009

5 comments:

AKPetMom said...

I did not know him personally but from reading about him on the local blogs I found him to be a very caring and loving individual with a strong will to right the many wrongs that he encountered.

He is the type of person that we need more of and I'm certain that he will be missed by his family and our community.

Peace to his family and friends.

Aussie Blue Sky said...

I'm sorry to hear that Moe lost his fight. I hope there will be a fitting permanent memorial to him and his work.

Condolences, Phil.

Anonymous said...

My condolences to Ann and his many friends.

Mo Bailey was a man among men, and I am grateful to have had the honor and privilege of meeting him.

You fought the good fight Mo, more than once, and spent your time on this earth not looking for what others could do for you, but for what you could do for others. What a wonderful example you set for us all. You have well earned your place in heaven, but will be greatly missed here as we work to continue what you started. Rest in peace.

Dianne

Phil Nagy said...

Mo was my friend.We shared alot, both good and bad. I had the chance to thank him for saving my life before he passed.His comment to me was"you saved my life too".. Of this you can be sure,there will be a very special place in heaven for Mo, and an extra large set of wings....I shall miss him, Phil "Duke" Nagy.

Martha Unalaska Yard Sign said...

I didn't know him, except to know him through Celtic Diva. He sounds like he was a true and kind man, veteran, friend, and gentle minded activist.

I hope his friends find solace and joy while reliving his accomplishments when they get together to say goodbye to this sterling fellow. I send my best wishes to all who loved him!