Monday, August 11, 2008

A Late Summer Garden





The sunshine of the past few days may save our garden. Some crops growing outdoors - peas. potatoes. rhubarb, carrots, beets, broccoli and green cabbage - are doing OK, if late and reduced in volume. But three in particular - green beans, red cabbage and artichoke may fail. I remember a couple of summers in the early or mid- 90s, when we didn't get green beans. And artichokes are always sketchy, but red cabbage?





Here's a green bean plant and its flowers:
Here is a flush of leaves - artichoke, poppy, Italian parsley and burdock. The burdock leaves show holes from the "marble-sized" hail they endured last Friday:Inside the greenhouse, the last of the main basil crop is ready for harvest, and over 100 tomatoes are ripening:
Arugula are flowering for salads and ripening for seed:

And cilantro flowers are beginning to turn into seed berries:

5 comments:

Tea N. Crumpet said...

How huge is your garden? These pictures are stunning-- I love your purple poppy!

Have you ever made salsa verde? One year my toddlers picked all of my then-green tomatoes. I was glad they did!

Philip Munger said...

we've made salsa verde before, and probably will this fall.

I have a lot more pictures, but these were all I had time to edit up.

CelticDiva said...

Your garden is so gorgeous, as is your greenhouse!

/jealous

Anonymous said...

Has your tomato plant(s) produced much this year? We moved ours inside the house and have had a bumper crop!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever made salsa verde? One year my toddlers picked all of my then-green tomatoes. I was glad they did!