Thursday, February 14, 2013

Come Listen to the Chugach Brass Perform My Aleutian Sketches Saturday in Soldotna

Volcano Woman by John Hoover - Anchorage Egan Center - image by Philip Munger
Back in 2010, the University of Alaska Anchorage resident brass trio, the Chugach Brass, commissioned me to compose music for an upcoming concert they were to perform in Unalaska.  I decided to honor the Unalaska-Dutch Harbor area, and the Aleutians.  The result, Aleutian Sketches, for trumpet, French horn, trombone and piano, received its premiere in Unalaska in May, 2010.

The last movement of the four-movement suite honors my favorite sculpture (at the top of this post) by the late Alaska Native sculptor, John Hoover.  Volcano Woman is the Native art centerpiece of the main lobby of Anchorage's Egan Center.  I wrote about his sculpture and my music about it two years ago.

The Chugach Brass will be playing a lot of other works in Soldotna Saturday.  Here are links to two articles about the upcoming concert.

7:30 pm Saturday at Christ Lutheran Church

Here are the Chugach Brass, performing Aleutian Sketches, in October 2011, at UAA:

No comments: