Sunday, March 18, 2012

Preparing Saved Seeds in the Greenhouse

Saved arugula, cilantro and dill seeds - image by Philip Munger

These are arugula, cilantro and dill seed, saved from plants grown inside and outside last year.  The cilantro seeds represent the 18th or 19th generation of seeds, brought over from the greenhouse of our old house on the other side of Wasilla, when we moved to Neklason Lake in 1995.  I'll be planting them next week.

In the house' I've got three kinds of tomatoes and three kinds of lettuce coming up in starter planters already.

Meanwhile, outside the greenhouse:

4 comments:

HarpboyAK said...

We've got skunk cabbage up already here in Your Fair Capital City. All the snows lately have just been a dusting or an inch of slush that melted right away without freezing.

Weird to see skunk cabbage before St Pat's! I'll have to check on our always-first crocuses 3 blocks away tomorrow...

I usually wait until April to order seeds for my salad garden, but maybe I should start looking now!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your time and effort to come up this kind of article. Try to take a glance at gourmetrecipe. A recommendation for you to relax and unwind for a while...In that website you will find many tasty and nutritious dishes for you to choose from and your family. I also assure you, you won't regret it for visiting this site.

HarpboyAK said...

Yep. Crocuses have been blooming at the corner of 9th & B Streets in downtown Juneau for several days, from the appearance of the blossoms today.

Deer are on the beaches looking for sprouting beach grasses. From the numbers reported to me, it looks like they had a very high survival rate this winter ins spite of some early deep snows, because of several rainy spells that allowed them to easily reach their winter browse areas.

I hope that the bears don't start roaming around looking for spring foods that don't yet exist, and that this early warm weather won't result in berry blossoms that get frozen by late frosts.

Philip Munger said...

HBAK,

Must be nice for spring to have arrived somewhere in Alaska!

I arrived in Juneau from Seattle 39 years ago this week.