Wednesday, February 11, 2009

VECO's Last "Man" Standing Responds to PA's "Deal" Post - Updated

Rep. Mike Chenault (R - formerly from VECO) has responded to a post here yesterday, based on information I received from some credible sources.

Here's Rep. Chenault's full response:


Colberg Resignation and Blogs


I was somewhat shocked by the resignation of Attorney General Talis Colberg yesterday. Mr. Colberg has been nothing but a gentleman in the dealings I’ve had with him who did his best to represent the State of Alaska.

Now there is a blog on the net that is asserting that Senate President Gary Stevens and I have cut a deal with the Governor. The alleged deal is that we will sweep Troopergate and the firing of Walt Monegan under the rug in exchange for the Governor’s promise not to veto capital projects within our districts. Where do people come up with this stuff?


I have not spoken with the Governor since last week when we had a joint leadership meeting, which included leadership from both the House and Senate. No one from the administration approached me about any of these issues. I am on record and will continue to state that the Troopergate investigation is over and it is time to move on. I am concerned however about the legislature’s power to issue subpoenas. I believe those subpoenas should have been honored when they were issued. Of course, those who were issued subpoenas have the right to counsel and other constitutional guarantees but nonetheless, all of the parties should have adhered to them. This is one issue that we need to examine further and if legislation is necessary to strengthen or reaffirm the legislature’s position, then it needs to be introduced.


I usually don’t respond to the rumors that are planted in blogs, but my integrity is under attack. I take great pride in the standing I have achieved within my district, the state and within the legislature and will continue to be a man of my word. I will say this one more time, I had no idea that General Colberg was resigning nor was there any conversation with the Governor about his resignation prior to it occurring.


By the way, looking at this year’s capital budget proposal, there isn’t much to veto from my district. If the Governor feels she needs to veto projects that I believe are necessary and have worked to get into the capital budget, so be it.


I welcome anyone to call me or email me to discuss this issue in the event you need further clarification. I will even talk with the two informants or the source of the blog entry who planted this ridiculous rumor.


I can be reached at 1-800-469-3779 or emailed at representative_mike_chenault@legis.state.ak.us


I will be calling Rep. Chenault tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it.

Update - Thursday 1:00 p.m: I didn't have to call Rep. Chenault. He called me this morning, while I was at about Mirror Lake on the Glenn Highway. We talked until the traffic got thick around Eagle River.

I told Rep. Chenault that my Juneau source didn't claim he and Sen. Stevens sat down personally with Gov. Palin and cook up a veto-free deal. My source said that people from either the majority leaders' or their legislative staffs cooked something like that up with somebody from the governor's staff.

Rep. Chenault says he has "no deals" with the Governor on anything.

Rep. Chenault assured me that there isn't much to veto in his package this year, anyway. We talked mostly about the "resignation" of Attorney General Colberg. Rep. Chenault is not ruling out that Colberg was forced to resign. After I told him I felt it is probable that the Governor and her husband appear to have probably committed obstruction of justice in either the Branchflower or Petumenos Report, or in both, and that our legislators are going to look pretty lame if the FBI has to come in and "clean up this mess too, like with Veco," he paused and said he would give that some thought.

It was a pleasant talk, and I wish we could have heard each other a bit better. He said I was breaking up, and I was driving my son's really noisy Outback.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike Chenault has always been a shady character. I don't believe a word out of his mouth.

Philip Munger said...

Just sent this to Rep. Chenult:

Rep. Chenault,

I'm the proprietor of Progressive Alaska.

I've posted your response to my Monday article about information I had received over the weekend and on Monday on Talis Colberg's "resignation" as it played out. I hope to discuss this with you soon.

Regards,

Phil Munger

Anonymous said...

Tell Mike his standing in his district is falling because he won't pursue Troopergate.

clark said...

"Of course, those who were issued subpoenas have the right to counsel and other constitutional guarantees but nonetheless, all of the parties should have adhered to them. This is one issue that we need to examine further and if legislation is necessary to strengthen or reaffirm the legislature’s position, then it needs to be introduced."
i've read that four times now and i totally don't get it. it was either unlawful for todd palin and the others to ignore the subpoenas, or it wasn't.
the legislature's willingness to pursue the investigation further is a completely separate matter, correct?
chenault's statements only serve to obfuscate the essential issues, imo.

clark said...

so as it now stands, the legislature has affirmed those subpoenaed are in contempt. but leadership of the lege is also now saying the investigation is being dropped? how credible can the claim there was no deal possibly be? pardon me for being skeptical!

Anonymous said...

Give me a break! As though Chenault didn't know - hah~! He was in on the deal. What a total fraud.

It's time to change politics in Alaska which has become the bane of the rest of the united states with it's continued corruption and capriciousness. It's time to bring in the big guys and then we'll watch Chenault squirm like a stuck pig.

Anonymous said...

Don't bother trying to address Chenault directly. His website is "closed for comments" - what a weasel! This guy doesn't deserve to be in office. VECO???

Anonymous said...

"No Deal Chenault", eh?

For starters, why would he feel the need to even respond or react to internet "rumors" as he so classifies them? Surely, he had enough investment in dispelling them as to go to great lengths to contradict them.

Ever hear the phrase "he who doth protest too much"? Chenault will go down in all of us.

He wouldn't have taken the time to address this rumor on this site if he wasn't worried and culpable.

Philip Munger said...

anon @ #8 -

I took his phone call at face value. I speak with legislators and former legislators quite often. As I wrote in the update, sound quality was pretty bad, but my feeling was he was being as open as he's capable of being with a non-constituent.

I'd score my experience with him this morning far more satisfactory than my experience in early January with Rep. Doogan, who didn't strike me as very honest, very ethical or very courageous. Especially the last.

Anonymous said...

"legislators are going to look pretty lame if the FBI has to come in and "clean up this mess too, like with Veco," he paused and said he would give that some thought."
Uh, I certainly hope he give more than "Some thought" I hope the FBI comes in and throws a tarp over them all kike a pest company does for termites! There are only a couple I can discern to be honest...and don't even get me started on "too much holiday cheer" Doogan!!!!! {rolls eyes} He was the straw to break this camels back. Now I don't bother to write to them, I voice my concerns to the FBI!

Anonymous said...

Sorry should of been LIKE a pest...

Anonymous said...

Phil-- what do you think of Gatto? I find him to blow off anything that he doesn't care to hear, then he comes to my door asking why I support his opponent. Of course it was all my misunderstand, but he's a pro; he knows how to own every conversation.

Anonymous said...

~all my misunderstanding~ as far as he was concerned. . .

Anonymous said...

From AlaskaReport.com "Corrupt Bastard Alert - Mike Chenault trying to screw Alaska again"

http://alaskareport.com/ap/ap31130_mike_chenault.php

"In the 2006 election cycle, Rep. Chenault collected $5,000 from five Veco executives, including Bill Allen and Rick Smith, both convicted for BRIBERY. Chenault has pocketed over $32,000 from Veco in total, that we know of.

Why is Chenault protecting Industry from 1) paying its due, and 2) being a responsible citizen of the State in terms of anti-corrosion efforts and deductions?

Want to talk to Chenault and tell him where to put his bill? His office: (800) 469-3779. If he's not there call Conoco/Phillips. You can bet they got his number on speed dial.
"

Anonymous said...

Doogan calls 'em like he see's 'em, that's why I like Mike.

Anonymous said...

Please stop talking on your cell phone while driving.