Wednesday, February 4, 2009

One Year Ago Tomorrow - The 2008 Alaska Caucuses

It was the opening day of an unprecedented political season in Alaska history - February 5th, 2008.

Our Mat-Su Democrats overwhelmed our planned-for caucus location at a bar and grill, where we planned for about ten times a many people as in 2004. What we got - about 100 times as many as 2004 - forced a move to the Wasilla High School Gymnasium.


Waiting to become Democrats:
Voting for Obama:
In Anchorage, it was just as unprecedented, percentage-wise, and far more disruptive, in terms of raw numbers. Steve Aufrecht posted these telling photos:

People coming into Anchorage's Begich Middle School:

New voters registering as Democrats at Begich Middle School:
Update: Maia, in the comments helped me correct the 1-year date from the 4th to the 5th of February. Thanks, Maia!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there there at the Mat-su Fiasco! It made my heart so glad to see so many #'s of people show up in the Valley, no less, for the democratic caucus!

If the event would have been originally scheduled at the Gym the numbers would have been much greater. I estimated around a 1000 people at the gym.

The baseball coach at Wasilla was very rude. He was encouraging his players to make as much noise as possible, making it difficult to hear the impromptu and scheduled speeches. A couple of people and I politely asked the coach if they could tone it down a bit and he refused. Republicans...

I have more pics of the event if you want them Phil.

Philip Munger said...

baja,

cool!

My e-mail is listed under "View my complete profile"

Maia said...

Thanks for the reminder. What a zoo that was. But it makes for a great story. (Actually, in many ways it was a preview of the inauguration, now that I think about it.) Although I think it's actually one year ago tomorrow — Feb. 5, right? (Last year was a leap year.)