Thursday, August 14, 2008

Re Ashley Reed Indictment - - Diane Benson Challenges Ethan Berkowitz

Here's a picture of Diane Benson last September, signing her request to the U.S. House Committee on Standards, to investigate the unconstitutional changes Young had had made to the 2005 Omnibus Transportation Bill. She was the fist person in public life to begin to scrutinize Young's behavior in this regard, the first to formally complain.

In the wake of today's announcement by the State of Alaska, that they are criminally charging lobbyist Ashley Reed, Diane Benson has made the following statement:

Every day I talk to Alaskans who are excited to turn the page on not only the last eight years but also the last few decades of the politics as usual. Change is in the air, and for the first time in a long time, we all feel like we can breathe again.

Whether we know it or not, every one of us is living history. The actions we take today will have an effect long after tomorrow. This is why it's critical that history remember 2008 as the year America ended the culture of corruption in Washington and returned trust, ethics, and accountability to our government.

The incestuous relationship between politicians and large industry lobbyists begins with campaign contributions and ends with representatives looking out for special interest and not their own constituents. If the past two years of FBI raids, indictments and politicians in jail have taught us anything it's this one stark truth. If we want clean government then we must start with clean campaigns.

I refuse to take campaign money from lobbyists or industry PACs not because I have to, not because I benefit, but because it's the right thing to do. Americans deserve a government they can trust. And Alaskans deserve a representative who will represent their interest, instead of special interests.

As the primary election approaches, I challenge my opponent, Ethan Berkowitz, to do the same and return all lobbyist money that he has received in this campaign.

In particular, I am concerned with the money Berkowitz has accepted from lobbyists who have also given to Sen. Ted Stevens and Rep. Don Young in the past. The relationship that those two representatives have had with lobbyists has eroded their judgment and I believe, as Democrats promoting change, we need to run campaigns that are clean from lobbyists' influence. Additionally, some of the lobbyists Berkowitz has received money from have recently had criminal charges filed against them by the state of Alaska. (Ashley Reed who has also given Berkowitz $1,000 during his last four races.)

Furthermore, I ask Berkowitz to join me in my pledge to help change Congress by refusing to take any additional money from lobbyist or industry PACs at any point in the future.

I certainly believe in a government that's by the people and for the people. It is my sincerest hope that Berkowitz does as well and will promptly return these contributions.


The Benson campaign ha mailed this out, along with an attached MS Excel spreadsheet, detailing the dovetailing of GOP lobbyists' interests with Ethan Berkowitz and Republican candidates.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of ethical conduct and transparency, when will we see copies of recent income tax returns filed by Ms. Benson and Mr. Berkowitz?

Philip Munger said...

Benson's is ready, I have no idea about Berkowitz's. Call her office if you want to see her returns.

Anonymous said...

Figured this post of yours might be close enough to alert you to this--

"This isn’t funny: The Bush administration is actively working to stop injured and ill veterans in Veterans Administration facilities from registering to vote."
http://timpanogos.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/need-your-help-call-bush-tell-him-to-let-veterans-vote/

Anonymous said...

I don't want, or feel an obligation, to "...call her office..." Rather, I expect her to walk her talk and post the returns for all to see. Likewise Berkowitz. That is not asking too much, especially from one who has made ethics a cornerstone of her campaign.

Anonymous said...

It's all smoke and mirrors. Ms. Benson would take a lobbyist check if there was a lobbyist who saw her as a candidate worth supporting.

Anonymous said...

I feel rather certain that if the lobbyists and special interest PACs thought they could buy Diane's vote in the future, they'd be supporting her 100 percent, especially after her strong showing in 2006. Your argument lacks merit.

Anonymous said...

@linda scates Don't you mean to say that if they thought she had a chance of winning the primary (we're not even talking about the general) they'd be supporting her 100%?

Anonymous said...

No, I mean exactly what I say, and I don't put a whole lot of stock in Ivan Moore's polls, as I've stated before, since his track record for making accurate predictions in the past has been mixed, at best, and his bias is undeniable, as he himself has stated.

Big money PACs, corporate lobbyists, party hacks (e.g., Rahm Emanuel), the DLC (notoriously anti-progressive), among other well-heeled players with their own agendas, are supporting Ethan Berkowitz because he's "their kind of guy," and it's their right to do that, of course.

It's just that they don't speak for me or have my interests at heart, so I will continue to support Diane because she does.

You're not going to convince me to change my mind, and no doubt I won't convince you to change yours, but you can't make me shut up about it.

Anonymous said...

@linda scates I have no interest in convincing you to change your mind, nor do I want you to shut up. I'm merely pointing out the flaw in your logic. If Diane had a chance of winning, these evil forces that you speak of (since, in your mind, clearly all lobbyists are bad) you would see them trying to "buy her vote" as you put it by contributing to her campaign. But they don't because she doesn't. It has nothing to do with being able to buy her vote. If they thought she had a chance, you'd see them trying to donate to her.