Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Progressive Alaska's Endorsements

My hand-modified huge Diane Benson sign is ready. I've got my Carrharts, XTra Tuffs and Hellys ready to don, along with some waterproof gloves. I'll be down at the junction of Palmer-Wasilla and Trunk, standing next to the Alaskans for Clean Elections sign, until even the borough employees are at their desks, sipping their first cuppa.

With up to 200 visits per hour at PA recently, maybe this site's endorsements will help:

U.S. Senate: Mark Begich. The coat had little to do with swaying me. Mark convinced me back in May. Sorry, Ray, my good friend......... too many dots left unconnected for you to sell your case to me on Mark. Keep on doing what you're doing! You're my hero. Mark will be our Senator.

U.S. House: Diane Benson. Having worked closely with this remarkable Alaskan over the past 26 months, I've come to think of her as both a needed next step in growing beyond the faulty state legislative paradigm of the post-Hazelwood era, and think of her sometimes as the little sister I never had.

Ethan, for all the chutzpah he showed for 45 seconds during that notorious special session in 2006, was and remains too similar to old-school, 20th century political loyalty politics for what I believe to be necessary. His current fundraising, and the way it has elevated him to the status of "inevitable," is the best example on the Democratic Party side of the aisle, of why we need a Clean Elections initiative.

Diane Benson's growing awareness and grasp of the issues facing us, especially in the realms of women's & civil rights, health care, and ties to lobbyists, shows she is more than capable of both representing Alaskans, and of helping take the U.S. Congress in a new, more progressive direction.

The Ballot Measures: I'll let Kodiak Konfidential's Ishmael Melville's recommendations stand on their own merits:

Ballot Measure No. 1, Establishing a Gaming Commission: NO. I'm all in favor of gambling, but this is putting too much power in the hands of too few (three of the seven commissioners make a quorum!). Let the Legislature create what gambling the people see fit, then let a commission or department run it. This is just a thinly veiled attempt to create big gaming in Alaska without public input.

Ballot Measure No. 2, Adding grizzly (brown) bears to same-day airborne hunting ban and requiring all predator control hunting be done by state employees: YES. Just makes sense.

Ballot Measure No. 3, Clean Elections: YES. This will create a wholy voluntary system to provide public funding for elections. Best way I've ever heard to keep Corrupt Bastard Big Oil/VECO-style money out of politicians' hands. Remember it's totally voluntary.

Ballot Measure No. 4, the Clean Water Initiative: Big Hell YES. Salmon over gold, any day. Save our streams, help keep Pebble Mine in check and the lives and livilihoods of thousands of Alaskans safe and intact. Voting for Clean Water and Salmon is the real vote for jobs.

Gotta go out, get soaked, get my arms tired.

Go out there yourselves, folks - AND VOTE!

12 comments:

Ishmael said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Phil!

Cheers!

Ish

Philip Munger said...

ish,

I didn't do the local races like you did, 'cause there aren't any contested Democratic races in he primary with more than one entry.

Anonymous said...

I voted yesterday. I agreed with you on Measure #1. But I disagreed with you on EVERYTHING else.

That's OK. Let's vote!

Anonymous said...

Go ETHAN!

Anonymous said...

I know that Ethan got money from Rahm, and you think that's bad. I think that Diane getting so much money from the gaming industry is worse, especially with a ballot initiative on gaming also on the ballot. Can we please have Clean Elections so this crap can come to an end?

Anonymous said...

@ anonymous: Yea, go Ethan: California needs another Congressman!

Anonymous said...

Second to the last anonymous, I believe your comment about Diane getting money from the "gaming industry" has been debunked in previous posts on this blog. Check your facts. "Tribes" does not equal "gaming industry."

Diane is the BEST choice among all the House candidates in this primary, and I'm proud to report that I and my entire extended family in Alaska voted for her this morning.

Anonymous said...

@anon 3 ie Berkowitz TROLL

Please stop spreading lies about Diane Benson. As was mentioned on this blog, among several other blogs, those numbers are inaccurate and the Benson campaign has filled a complaint with opensecrets seeking a correction.

Besides its not so much the Rahm Emmanuel money that bothers me its Ethan's history of getting money from questionably lobbyists, like VECO and Ashley Reed. Not to mention the money he's received from the law firm who represented Exxon during the Exxon Valdez trial.

Anonymous said...

Chris, they must be desperate. They know they can't deny that Ethan has received large chunks of change from special interests, lobbyists and corporatist party PACs, so they try to level the playing field by making stuff up about Diane. It's pretty sad, really...especially when they believe they're ahead by 40 points.

Unknown said...

Well here we are again. Selection time. It is never more clear how closely linked the Democrats and Republicans are than when you look at their equally brutal treatment of protesters.

http://www.coloradolegaleagles.org/

It is never more clear that the corporate media is all about the satis quo when you look true independent reports.

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/video/96404/police_trap_peaceful_protesters_in_denver/

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/8/26/headlines#4

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/8/26/as_democratic_convention_kicks_off_massive

And it is never more clear that some people have drank of the party corporate media koolaid. Even those who live in our state.

http://divasblueoasis.blogspot.com/

If I was in Denver right now, I would have my knee pads on, wrist guards, but I wouldn't have a mask. And I sure as hell wouldn't be in the Pepsi Center. I would be damn proud to stand in the street with my brothers and sisters of the Black Block. Hey you docs, what would pepper spray do for my blood pressure?

I'm going to go vote now. I hope you remember to do the same.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links. Land of the Free, indeed. As long as you keep your mouth shut.

Peter Stanton said...

Your voting is the same as I would do it. Too bad I can't vote.