Monday, April 21, 2008

Ten Things I Learned at the AK Press Club J-Week

I attended the Alaska Press Club's 2008 Journalism Week Conference last weekend. I initially planned on going to watch a couple of the events, but had decided to check on whether they'd let me in the club, as a web-based journalist.

Rhonda McBride registered me as a member, and welcomed me very warmly. Things went mostly uphill from there. I can't thank the people I met enough, who were so welcoming. I was also gratified by the compliments and criticism I received there about Progressive Alaska.

I was even nominated to and voted onto the club's board. I've got to admit that, on the one hand - I'm proud. But, on the other hand, when I told friends there who have been longtime club members this, they gave me that "You just bought a timeshare in Sadr City?" look.

What impressed me the most about the participants was the raw enthusiasm shown by the youngest reporters and by college students attending. A special bonus was being able to spend time with my close friends Ruth Sheridan, Alaska's most distinguished peace advocate, and with Celeste Benson, the Anchorage Senior Center's Chief Administrator.

I learned a lot! Here are a few of the things...

Ten Things I Learned at J-Week 2008:

1. The press is finally getting it about violence toward Alaska Native Women
2. The press is not getting it about the local perniciousness of Islamophobia.
3. There were more than enough fine presentations.
4. Everyone knows who Michele Linehan is.
5. Nobody knows who Sibel Edmonds is.
6. Leonard Pitts, Jr. loves Stan Lee comic books.
7. Aliza Sherman Rizdahl is one hellaciously amazing multi-tasker.
8. Young reporters see the web as their future. Older ones sometimes wish it would go away.
9. Reporters drink more than classical musicians. Way more.
10. Never take your girlfriend to Cordova. Thanks, Bob Martinson, for reminding me.

top image - Steve Heimel, Shannyn Moore, Jeff Cohen
bottom image - Rick Rydell, Dan Fagan

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Never take your girlfriend to Cordova?
Is this the eagle swooping down to steal the poodle syndrome or a comment on the beauty of our area, i.e. wanting to move here?

Are you sure that's Rick Rydell sitting next to Zippy?
Looks more like that obnoxious television huckster "I'M BILLY MAYS!!" who has me trained to keep the mute button locked and loaded.

Go Diane, you are the only one who translates and resounds with all Alaskans.
You deserve all the credit coming to you for staying on Down Young re: Coconut Road even if Nancy P seems to have lost her nerve (again).
Get in there and help us change this mess before the whole U.S.A. implodes.

Philip Munger said...

David,

"Never take your GF to CDV" is an old saying there.

Sort of like "It's better to owe the cannery a little bit of money than a lot of money, but it's better to owe the cannery a little bit of money than no money at all" - Ralph Peterson's rule #4

CelticDiva said...

I wish I'd gone now that I know bloggers can get in!

Deirdre Helfferich said...

Er, Phil, Sibel Edmonds? Ester Republic? hint, hint...

I heard your name mentioned at the awards banquet, but the real Phil Munger did not, apparently, stand up, so I couldn't find you to go over and say hi. Otherwise you would have met me in person, and vice versa.

anyway, I've lost your e-mail, or never had it, or something.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprized you were sober long enough to attend!

Philip Munger said...

deirdre,

I was at a wonderful concert that I couldn't miss during the banquet. I hope nobody spewed when my name was mentioned. I met some cool Fairbanks people, and had been hoping you would be one of them.

The kids that came down from the UAF journo program inspired me.

I haven't forgotten your offer, and with an arrest yesterday in NYC (I think that's where it was) it might be time to bring the case back to the fore.

Deirdre Helfferich said...

Aha. No wonder I didn't see you in the crowd. Nobody retching that I could see--actually a lot of loud clapping when your name was announced. I forget what you won, though, sorry.

Philip Munger said...

I won a time share in Sadr City, I think...

Unknown said...

Speaking as one of those "kids from the UAF journalism program", it was a pleasure to meet you and put a face to the blog.

Do you by any chance have access to Skype? I'm doing a story on journalistic blogging in Alaska and how it was represented at J-Week and I'd like to interview you for it. Or if you'd rather, I can email my list of questions and you can answer at your leisure. Either way, keep it up and I look forward to reading.

Andrew Sheeler

Philip Munger said...

andrew,

I'll be in touch soon...