Sunday, November 2, 2008

Saradise Lost - Chapter One Hundred-Seventy-Four -- Saturday Was a Day Palin Will Never Forget

Saturday started out like any other Saturday for a vice presidential candidate, three days before the election, believing her ticket is closing on the opponent - with a lot of bravado. A couple of clips I watched, had her saying "the Democrat Party." Maybe she's been using that misnomer before, but it was the first time I'd heard her use it.

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin began November in Florida, trying to scare people. Twice. While the campaign was moving north to her next destination, she thought she got call from the leader of the French nation. It wasn't at 3:00 a.m. It was, however, Sarah Palin's 3:00 a.m. call.

She fucked it up. Totally.

She had to. It was part of her destiny. She believes she is the anointed one. She isn't.

About the same time, John McCain was taping Saturday night's SNL episode with Tina Fey. In the opening episode, featuring McCain and Tina Fey (as Palin), McCain lets Fey tear Palin to shreds.

Do you think Sarah Palin is capable of looking back through November First and understanding that she has become one of the biggest jokes of 21st century American political history? I take that back - the BIGGEST joke in 21st century American political history. Or that the guy the Christian right fucked over immensely in 2000 doesn't realize where his historical defeats then and now came from?

Judy and I invited the Al Jezeera English crew covering election day in Alaska, and some other friends over for dinner Saturday. I love cooking Copper River Sockeye for fact finders discovering Alaska. We had a great time.

One of the people who came up in discussion was Alaska U.S. Senator, Lisa Murkowski. The degree she is supporting Sen. Stevens in election ads is beyond troubling. It is whoring. Either she's been told that Bush actually will pardon Stevens, or she's totally clueless. Lisa - you've created your own problem. Just like Sarah.

Alaska Democrats need to find the solution. I hope we do.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa Murkowski is doing what Murkowski senators do: whatever Ted Stevens tells them to do. It's a family tradition.

Anonymous said...

I have watched C-Span, during the Senate prodedures and some of the investigative panels of the Senate.
I am sorry, but I cringe, when Lisa Murkowski speaks!. I have said this before, but she is like a deer caught in the headlights. She stammers and says/asks some of the dumbest things imaginable. I do not believe she is competant enough to be a Senator. She is just another mouth-piece for Bush.
She is again making a serious mistake personally as well as politically for standing up for Sen. Stevens. It must be a family tradition, because it is not a smart decision. No matter what reality they are in, Stevens was convicted. I can see where Stevens helped Alaska years ago, but he has become arrogant and has that feeling of entitlement. He and those like him, are not above the law--like Gov. Palin. They try and make us feel dumb--like we do not notice, that what they do is wrong. This whole election has got to change, and elect people that still believe in doing the right thing and they are accountable for their actions. Sen. McCain should have been thrown out too, yrs. ago, for the Keating 5 scandal. Their actions are not fair to our Democracy.
Lisa Murkowski really needs to find another job too. She is another one that is not leading Alaska in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

My friends, it's over. I can't tell you that, my friends, because you may not go out and vote and Senator Obama will will be by even a bigger landslide. So, my friends, I will continue to lie to you as I have done throughout this campaign by making you believe we have a chance. I'm such a maverick, my friends. Steve

Anonymous said...

A day that will live in infamy?

Anonymous said...

Sarah Palin suffers from:

http://www.airfarceone.net/ditzophrenia.html

:)

clark said...

excerpted from an ADN letter to the editor:
Mr. Begich seems like a fine fellow, but he would have to fall in line with the Dems if he won, everybody knows it. Stevens seems to be a bit distracted to demonstrate an understanding of the "Country First" concept, so we'll have to do the right thing for him and choose a suitable write-in replacement. I say we get behind Sean Parnell. Spread the word. Write in Sean Parnell to replace Stevens.
-- Phil Horton
Fairbanks

now there's a cause i could get behind! let's start phonebanking parnell immediately! hee!

Maia said...

I actually feel for Sen. Murkowski. The Stevens fallout is potentially worse for her than for anyone else. She's trapped. No matter how she reacts to the verdict, someone (coughSarahPalincough) will use it against her in 2010. I'm not saying I like her response (the ads are a bit much), but I don't think there's any way for her to respond that doesn't end up damaging her in some way.

Based on the one-on-one encounters I've had with Sen. Murkowski, I have to say I really like her. I don't necessarily agree with her politics, but she's intelligent and personable and I really believe that she wants to do the right thing by Alaska. Once Stevens isn't breathing down her neck anymore, I think she can only be better.

Anonymous said...

Th AK Republicans are ridiculous. They encouraged their peeps to support Lindaur, and they will sacrifice party winnings for the good of the people and the state as if a bad Republican is better than a good Democrat. That's just not true. If they blink and smile, they can pretend that all is fine.