Monday, April 21, 2008

PAC Puppet? --- Ethan Says "NO!"

Back on January 18, former Alaska State Representative Ethan Berkowitz spoke to the Mat-Su Democrats about his campaign in the Democratic Party primary for the AK-AL seat now held by GOP crook (and pervert?), Don Young. In the question-and-answer session after Ethan's talk, I asked him about Ray Metcalfe's claim to have delivered a packet of documents and information about former State Senator Ben Stevens, when both Berkowitz and Stevens were serving in the legislature. Ethan, in January, stated that his hands had been tied as a legislator, because of procedural rules, that APOC was investigating many of Ray Metcalfe's allegations, and that Ethan wasn't free to talk about some of the things he "might have done" with the information when he received it from Ray.

Back on January 18, Ethan also told me, "You could have called me."

Between last Thursday and Sunday, going through Ethan's 2008 first quarter Federal Election Commission, filing, I came across two donations that troubled me. The first was a $500.00 donation from Anchorage CH2M Hill director, Denis LeBlanc. CH2M Hill is Veco's successor, and has an environmental reputation in the lower 48 that stinks. The second donation, or set of donations, was the $10,000.00 the Berkowitz campaign received from Illinois U.S. House Representative Rahm Emanuel's PAC, Our Common Values.

Over the weekend, I got in touch with Howie Klein, one of the founders of BlueAmerica, an on-line funding group which raised about $13,000,000.00 for progressive U.S. House candidates in the 2006 election. Howie has done more to expose the insidious politics of Rahm Emanuel, than has any other progressive figure.

Klein isn't alone in this, though. I spent a few hours over the weekend with one of America's most inspiring progressives, Jeff Cohen, founder of the Park Center for Independent Media, and endowed chair/associate professor of journalism at Ithaca College. Cohen is in Alaska this week, and was a leading participant in the Alaska Press Club's J-Week conference. Cohen is another huge critic of Rahm Emanuel. He was appalled that what appears to be the biggest quarterly candidate contribution by a PAC since Veco was busted, was made by Our Common Values. As Cohen exclaimed, when I informed him of Rahm's donation, "This is huge!"

Saturday, Howie Klein wrote to me that he had written a recent article for Down With Tyranny about Rahm's PAC. In the article, Howie described his feeling, as he looked at the list of PAC donors. "I know some of these people. I feel ill."

The donors to this PAC who gave Berkowitz $10,000 in the first quarter of 2008, reads like a "who's who" list of supporters of war with Iran, defenders of the worst aspects of our health care industry, opponents of net neutrality, and enablers of the financial deregulation that allows hedge fund managers to be taxed very little, and who helped engineer the sub-prime mortgage industry meltdown. The list includes the producer of Bill O'Reilly's radio show, several Fox executives, war criminal Henry Kissinger's main business partner, and a whole host of other people who make Alaska's Corrupt Bastard Club look like a kindergarten roster.

Klein, in his article about Emanuel's PAC, notes that those who, in the past have benefitted from this funding source, have gone on to be the closest allies to President Bush among Democrats in the U.S. House. Jeff Cohen, speaking about Emanuel and those loyal to him, said Saturday, that "Emanuel isn't really a Democrat, and doesn't have a remotely progressive agenda."

Sunday, I decided to call Ethan and ask him if he knew what he'd walked into by accepting the largest quarterly contribution Rahm Emanuel has ever given an unelected candidate in a U.S. House primary. According to Ethan, he had no idea that Rahm is as despised on the left as is the case. He said that he hadn't looked at the list of donors to Our Common Values. He seemed somewhat surprised about this.

Ethan went on to say that he is very much for an open internet, with free access to information for all. For the first time I've heard him go this far, he stated he is categorically against a war with Iran.

Berkowitz added that he'll look into how Emanuel is viewed in the Democratic Party as a whole, and will take a look at the Our Common Values PAC donor list. He says that under no circumstances will he feel obligated to Emanuel for the latter's largesse.

I pointed out that "that's what every candidate says, Ethan." He replied that he'll get back to me on this once he's more familiar with the reasons for Jeff Cohen's and Howie Klein's concerns. He also explained that the donation from LeBlanc was from a longtime friend. LeBlanc was Anchorage City Manager before moving to CH2M Hill. Ethan says he doesn't expect to be getting any donations from the company itself, and would probably return them should they donate.

Rahm Emanuel caricatures courtesy of Howie Klein

18 comments:

battery said...

LeBlanc was Anchorage City Manager before moving to CH2M Hill. Ethan says he doesn't expect to be getting any donations from the company itself, and would probably return them should they donate.

game gold said...

On account of I have fiesta Gold , I am not afraid of the lonely. At that time I do not know the meaning of it. Later I buy fiesta money . And every time, I have no fiesta online gold , I will feel very anxious. Why I buy fiesta Gold , please it gives me such a warm place. At the moment, I have fiesta online money .

宗鹏 said...

It is a very nice game silkroad gold, I like sro gold. You can play it silkroad online gold, you can buy the cheap silk road gold. You smart and buy cheap silkroad gold.

Anonymous said...

they are like me and tell me anything about them wakfu kamas, I know wakfu gold. one of my friend likes to go to play buy wakfu kamas, I can not stand praising the land and the nature wakfu money , It makes us to be wakfu kama.


My another friend do not like FFXI Gil, She like in home along FFXI gold, she like quiet and Final Fantasy XI gold, she always read books in the library and buy buy FFXI Gil, I will go to library with he cheap Final Fantasy XI Gold.

Anonymous said...

Have you heared about 9Dragons which you need use 9Dragons gold to play, and you can also borrow 9 Dragons gold from other players? But you can buy 9 Dragons gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have cheap 9Dragons gold. If you get 9Dragons money, you can continue this game.

Anonymous said...

Have you heared about a game which you need use Anarchy credits to play, and you can also borrow Anarchy Online credits from other players? But you can buy AO credits, or you will lose the choice if you do not have Anarchy online gold. If you get Anarchy gold, you can continue this game.

Anonymous said...

Have you heared about a game which you need use Atlantica online Gold to play, and you can also borrow Atlantica Gold from other players? But you can buy Atlantica online Gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have cheap Atlantica online Gold. If you get Atlantica online money, you can continue this game.

Anonymous said...

rf gold which in RF Online Game is very popular for many players. Play this online game the premise that we have more enough rf online gold first. They are able to combine creative tools and weapons with some rf money and the Light form of universal magic. Under such sustained attacks they fell from power, yet they have bided their rf cp and time. Due to make cheap rf gold the intense gravity on their home planet, the Bellato are the smallest people.

Anonymous said...

After separate for one year, I can not leave you, leave Scions Of Fate gold . Now I buy SOF gold again, I do not want to leave you, but at that time, I have no idea. Buy Scions Of Fate money is the thing I want to do for long time. I know that cheap SOF gold is your life. So I will try my best and do not let you pass away. In my mind, I think I buy sof gold is the fate.

Anonymous said...

At one time or another, I do not have the rf gold ; at the first time, I am not willing to buy rf online gold . But I do not wonder I buy the rf money , my friend thinks that I am ill. But when I have it, it carries the magic from such a group, such a link in the world, rf cp , it is the key bring you to this world. But buy cheap rf gold is the best desire that I make.

Anonymous said...

Do you want to know the magic of online games, and here you can get more aoc gold. Do you want to have a try? Come on and conan gold can make you happy.You can change a lot age of conan gold for play games. And you will enjoy yourself at the sametime. Playing online games can make much cheap aoc gold. Come and have a try. You will feel a different feeling. And you can aoc money do what you want to do in the online game.

Anonymous said...

What do you know FFXI Gil. And do you want to know? You can FFXI gold here. And welcome to our website, here you can play games, and you will get Final Fantasy XI gold to play game. I know buy FFXI Gil, and it is very interesting. I like playing online games. Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn much about cheap Final Fantasy XI Gold. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

Anonymous said...

Do you know that the knight gold, and do you want to know? In the game many players need the knight noah to up their levels. so they often search where can buy the knight online gold, I think our website is your choice. Many friends told me that in here can knight online noah, and you will also practice your online games skills. So i hope more and more players come here to buy the cheap knight gold.

Anonymous said...

Do you know eve isk? I like it. My brother often goes to the internet bar to buy eve online isk and play it. After school, He likes playing games using these buy isk with his friend. One day, he give me many cheap eve isk and play the game with me. I came to the bar following him and found buy eve online isk was so cheap.

Anonymous said...

Do you know fiesta Gold? I like it. My brother often go to the internet bar to buy fiesta money and play it. After school, He likes playing games using these fiesta online gold with his friend. One day, he give me many buy fiesta Gold and play the game with me. I came to the bar following him and found fiesta online money was so cheap.

Anonymous said...

Do you know dofus kama? I like it. My brother often goes to the internet bar to buy kamas and play it. After school, He likes playing games using these cheap kamas with his friend. I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many dofus gold and play the game with me. I came to the bar following him and found buy dofus kamas was so cheap.

lla said...

Ed hardy clothes in Hollywood is a very popular brand hot.Classic tattoo art and fashion classic elements included in the ed hardy clothing .
Wholesale Handbags
Cheap Handbags
Womens Handbags
Cheap Purses
Designer Handbags

lla said...

Wilson k factor KTour the flexibility of a good tennis racket is suitable for all type, doubles, singles players. Wilson k six shoot better on the first rotation speed to produce a very good help.Babolat aeropro drive Racquets is Nadal's babolat tennis racket used.In many places to be able to buy cheap tennis racquets.Babolat pure drive is a Babolat be proud of the company products, and a large number of professional tennis players to choose from, coupled with near-perfect design and adapt wider.
ralph lauren polo
burberry polo shirt