Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mariano Gonzales' Art Removed from APU Last Fall Reopens at Out North Friday

University of Alaska Art Department Chairman Mariano Gonzales' powerful interactive installation, "Why Are Americans Still Dying in the Middle East?" reopens Friday at Out North Theater, in their main gallery.

The opening will be from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. I will once again perform my work for bugle, electronic sound and vocoder, Shards III, at 5:30 p.m.

Here's from Out North's email blast they sent out yesterday:

This installation consists of nine U.S. flags and a wall on which to write. The artist is asking his fellow citizens to consider the human cost of these wars, and to express an opinion, in their own hand, in the light of day, about the reason for these wars. The exhibit will remain at Out North through March 14th.


This exhibit was originally placed in APU's Conoco Phillips Gallery, before it was deemed objectionable and removed. Read about the controversy here.

1 comment:

Meena said...

I mean no disrespect, but I am really impressed by Mr. Gonzales. I grew up in Cali (so) trust me - I WANTED TO SHOUT AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS THAT I DID NOT VOTE FOR BUSH nor was limited by his.. err.. narrow (i.e. unsophisticated) view of things. You go Gonzales!!!