Monday, October 12, 2009

Max Blumenthal's Advice to Disillusioned Obama Supporters

Author, journalist, videographer and blogger Max Blumenthal was interviewed by the Los Angeles Times this past week. The interview was published Friday.

Although many of the TV, radio and print interviews with Max this late summer and early fall, while he has been on tour promoting his recent book, Republican Gomorrah, merely ask the same questions again and again, the LA Times Q&A session, while also reiterating some of what Max has been asked, goes into a lot of new territory.

Max's comments on the current dilemma facing progressives who ardently supported Obama in the 2008 election, and who are now disappointed, are notable. Blumenthal, like me, recognizes the historical nature of Obama's election, but has been concerned about some of the Messianic imagery:

Many liberals projected their own ambitions onto Barack Obama, as if he were a tabula rasa. Some had higher expectations of him than I’d seen of any politician from the Democratic Party.


Some of the followers of Barack Obama during the campaign reminded me of the Christian right, and he used evangelical language to appeal to them, with New Age themes like: “We are the ones we’ve been waiting for” — which is a phrase introduced originally by Maria Shriver. It’s a Hopi end times prophecy actually. This became a theme of his campaign. I saw his campaign as an illusion that brought together people from all different backgrounds, and actually did create a hopeful vehicle for change.


Progressive Alaska
ends up writing both critical and praiseful essays about the President on a weekly basis. PA has also been the most critical of the Alaska progressive blogs toward Sen. Mark Begich, as he, like Obama, has become a centrist's centrist, particularly when handling the issues of outrageously out-of-control corporate lobbyists in DC, and in dealing with the corporations themselves, nation- and worldwide.

Blumenthal, notes that Obama's run to the center in 2009 is far different from the situation Bill Clinton found himslef in, particularly from 1995 on:

[Obama] become the centrist I always expected him to be. And in a different environment than when [President] Clinton was a centrist. Clinton was triangulating in response to a Republican Congress and a right-wing political environment.


Barack Obama is dealing with a progressive moment. He’s being pulled by various forces to the center and even to the right. Those that are disappointed with him should be disappointed with themselves because they’re not demonstrating the same energy that they displayed in propelling him into the White House and making him a historic figure. They’re not propelling his agenda and they’re not pushing him to fulfill any of the promises he made during the campaign. They have a faith in him, but no one should have faith in politicians.


Politicians are there to be pressured.


When asked what drew him to making videos, Blumenthal explains that he has noticed the effect of his YouTubes on a new generation of potential progressive voters:

I originally started doing it to show people what it was like covering this movement. When you read about it, it is almost unfathomable. But when you see it, it becomes undeniable. Seeing is believing.


Beyond that I wanted to distill my work to a younger audience that might even be more politically apathetic, but has intrinsic progressive tendencies.


LA Times: What age were you aiming for?


Any age from zero to 25.


This sort of reporting appeals to them more. They’ve become attracted to my videos. They’ve become really popular among the young audience.


For example, I spoke at University of California Riverside and they created an events page for me on Facebook, titled “Remember the Chicken Hawk Guy?” — referring to my video about the College Republicans.


I showed my videos to the entire high school of Dalton High in New York, and they were cheering and asking provocative questions, even the ninth-graders.


People could be more engaged in politics, if the way it was reported was more interesting and entertaining. At the same time, I want to continue to operate within ethical journalistic parameters.


If Alaska progressives are going to rebuild our Party, we'll need to get more
local people like Max out there, covering Alaska GOP insanity, on a more regular basis. Dennis Zaki, Jesse Gryphen, and a few others have been doing investigative videography here. But we need to find ways to support more efforts by young people to get involved, give them examples of how that is to be done, and help them get the tools they need to do the job.

images - Max and Joe the Plumber; Max blowing Brian the Moose a kiss (by AKM)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil, I thank YOU for turning me onto Max. Even though I see him more and more now on the blogs etc., I first learned about him on PA.

Yusef Asabiyah said...

"Those that are disappointed with him should be disappointed with themselves because they’re not demonstrating the same energy that they displayed in propelling him into the White House and making him a historic figure."

What I witnessed in the Obama campaign was a highly organized, well-funded machine with centralized, tight control over all activities of campaigners, paid and otherwise-- something I consider it a mistake to call, "grass roots."

It wasn't true Obama's funding came primarily from "the people", from over the internet, etc.I'm not 100% sure it is realistic to say the people propelled Obama to the WH.

"They’re not propelling his agenda and they’re not pushing him to fulfill any of the promises he made during the campaign."

Part of the problem is that in many ways he is doing what he said he would do. For example with Afghanistan--he told us he planned to escalate there. In Iraq, he basically told us he would continue Bush's plans.

As to pushing Obama- I agree, we need to do so... the question is: how?

Another thing I noticed about the campaign-- the day after the election, the office was cleared, the parking lots were empty, and the people who had been employed were gone, the volunteers from the community dispersed. Whatever structure and energy there was for campaigning was effectively dismantled. Possibly intentionally dismantled.

"They have a faith in him, but no one should have faith in politicians."

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I know I never had faith in Obama. (My opinion is not all that many people did. This idea that many people did I see as part of the Godbama-worshipper, Obamabot smear job of the opposition party and I find it sad Blumenthal would utilize it.) I say: Obama without illusion.

That we are not represented by the democrats we support and elect is a different problem than not having energy or following in blind faith. If I had some effective way to push Obama and yet wasn't using it, I would be disappointed in myself. However, I don't, and I am not, and I don't plan to be.

Yusef Asabiyah said...

Labor Union field organizing which could have put pressure on Obama to fulfill campaign promises is trimmed back,

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/19/nation/na-unions19?pg=2