Friday, November 9, 2007

Radio and Music

Up at 0400 to get ready to go into Anchorage and catch a tour bus to Kenai with the rest of the UAA Wind Ensemble. We'll be playing a concert at Kenai High School today. My wife and I got home from watching a performance in Anchorage of Mozart's The Abduction from the Seraglio late last night, so I might be sleeping on the bus on the way down the Peninsula.

Yesterday, I was on KUDO-AM Radio with Steve Heimel between 1:30 and about 2:45, talking about the Sixties, and about this blog. I remarked to Steve that when I came to Alaska 34 years ago, I had moved from Seattle to Alaska to get away from music and radio, and, and - here we are! I've been on three Anchorage or statewide stations in the past week - KLEF, KSKA and KUDO.

KUDO has asked me to fill in for CC in their Monday afternoon 1:00 to 3:00 slot this coming week. I'd like to see if I can interview some people who are parties to the Exxon Valdez suit coming up for review by the U.S. Supreme Court. I've heard interviews with experts on the spill, like Dr. Rikki Ott, for instance. I've also heard the wingnut talk shows dismissing the suit's plaintiffs as whiny-assed titty-babies. The plaintiffs certainly aren't that! Any plaintiffs out there reading this - let me know if you have something to say.

I also heard late last night from my bodyguard, that the Alaska Lodges of the Masonic Scottish Rite have been forced by the Washington DC and Charleston, SC Carolina Lodges to knight Representative Don Young this Saturday morning at the Anchorage Sheraton. The Alaska lodges are upset, as they had no input on the decision, and some lodges - like the one in Valdez - are upset that knighting a person under investigation by the FBI is quite unprecedented, and could potentially sully the honor for the other members receiving that same honor. (IANAM - I am not a Mason.)

Update: Meredith Kenny, Don Young's Communications Director called the house today while I was down in Kenai playing in an awesome concert. She called, according to Judy, to "clarify something on the blog. She sounded young, nervous and worried." Must have to do with Don Young's knighting tomorrow. I got home too late to return a call to DC.

I have no idea how Ms. Kenny found out about the post, or about this blog. But maybe enough progressive atmosphere will rub off onto this young Young employee, that she'll go out and find a job with somebody who is still in touch with the future of Alaska.

Update Two: Don Young was not there and his name had been removed from the list of those honored at today's event.

4 comments:

Ishmael said...

The South Carolina Lodge has that much power? I think maybe we should look at the Transportation Committee earmarks a little closer and see if there's a "Coconut Road"-like project in them parts.

Anonymous said...

Glad I found you. Kodiak Konfidential made the introduction.

Ishmael said...

I was so looking forward to calling him "Sir Don, Exalted High Grand Poohbah of the Knights of Former Alaskans." Or something like that.

So is your UA ensemble the one coming to play here in Kodiak in a couple weeks or so?

Philip Munger said...

Ishmael,

It wasn't the UAA Wind Ensemble, and I don't know which group went down there. I do remember hearing somebody was going, though. I'd love an excuse to go visit. I haven't been on the Rock since Peter Bevis and I moved the tug Ruby XIV from Kodiak to Seattle in August, 1999.