Thursday, November 29, 2007

Comparing U.S. House polls? Where's Don's?

The only way Democrats are going to win the U.S. House seat now occupied by Rep. Don Young (R - Abramoff), is for the Party to use the opportunity of three viable, liberal, primary candidates vying for the opportunity to challenge Young, to build that Party anew.

When I was involved in helping create the DropDon web site last spring, in my talks in Sitka with Jake Metcalfe, and at the Anchorage Step It Up! Conference with Ethan Berkowitz, I've stressed to all that this primary race is an opportunity to show potential voters that a new, dynamic Democratic Party is in town.


This long, serious primary race is unprecedented in Alaska history. I challenge the Democratic Party and other organizations where candidates appear, to set up opportunities for voters to come, ask questions of, listen to, and compare these three fine Alaskans in debate formats.

I know from the research I've done for candidate Diane Benson in 2006 and 2007, that these three all have articulate stands on most issues important to Alaskans, and that those stands differ on some issues.


I agree with pollster Ivan Moore that the winner of this primary race will most likely NOT be facing Don Young in November. Moore is a Berkowitz volunteer. I've been volunteering for Benson since the summer of 2006. I'm sure another thing Moore and I would agree upon is the need to build this Party. A third thing Ivan Moore and I probably agree on is that smarmy questions about candidate loyalty to the Party and to Big Oil development narratives ( a la Shannyn Moore - on both issues) reek of McCarthyism and simplistic thinking.
The higher the road this campaign takes, the bigger, newer and more open the Democratic Party will be come the first day of September, 2008.

There will be more polls. We're all waiting on Jake Metcalfe's. I'm sure he's beating Don too.

The only poll out so far on Don Young was taken by his K Street attorneys. 100% of them hope he pays all his bills before his campaign chest dries up. No margin for error, Don.....

3 comments:

Gryphen said...

I just added you to my blog roll.

We Alaskans must stick together now mustn't we?

Philip Munger said...

gryphen,

keep doing the global. add more local. thanks for the add-on.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

We need to find an issue that a huge portion of the population deals with and solve it. We as in, "We, the people." Not "We Republicans" or "We Democrats." (I just sent you an e-mail.)

You are not finding the right issues that will take people to the polls in droves. "Free health care" is a silly platform considering how many of the people needing it DON'T VOTE-- many voters say they want it for all, but read the ADN and see what mean things were said in the comments about the Mountain View clinic closing.

Both B's need speech lessons. They are not orators by nature.