Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Joe McGinniss Starts His Book Promo Tour Thursday - He Will Be at firedoglake on the 25th, With Me Hosting

Joe McGinniss' new Book, The Rogue comes out on the 20th of September. Thursday morning, he will be on the Today Show.

Gary Trudeau was one of the few people McGinniss gave an early advance copy of the book to, as anyone who regularly reads Doonesbury might have guessed.  Trudeau is upset that at least three major papers, The Chicago TribuneThe Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Newsday have stopped running Doonesbury because it is featuring excerpts and a fictitious story line based upon some of the book's content.

McGinniss told me last week that advanced sales of the book were approaching a quarter million copies.  He and his publisher have been quite shrewd in getting press in the run-up to release, with The National Enquirer running a story today on NBA star Glen Rice, back when he was a junior in college, playing in the University of Alaska Anchorage's Great Alaska Shootout tournament, and the rogue was a fledgeling reporter at Anchorage's preeminent TV station, KTUU.  According to the book (at least, according to Gary Trudeau):
"She was a gorgeous woman. Super nice. I was blown away by her. Afterward, she was a big crush that I had. I talked about her for a long time. Only good things."— Glen Rice on Sarah Palin, from The Rogue, by Joe McGinniss
Anyway, I'll be hosting the firedoglake Book Salon on Sunday, September 25th, with Joe there to answer questions.  Come join us - ask him anything.

image - Philip Munger (Edward Teller) and Joe McGinniss

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil, I hope I will be able to catch it. I should be well into if not finished The Rogue by then. Even though you don't care to write the Saradise lost posts anymore, it would be interesting to hear your take on any of the info coming out now or Doonesbury, etc.

Susan in MD

Philip Munger said...

Thanks, Susan.

My take on the stuff having to do with McGinniss' book is that I agreed to host his firedoglake book salon a while ago. Since then I've decided that Palin is so much "dead meat" politically, that I want to leave her family alone, and that there are many far more important things to write about.

Additionally, I've taken on major new responsibilities at UAA that take a lot of time, have three commissions for new compositions that are not finished, and am deeply involved (mostly behind the scenes) in the heating up Mat-Su Wishbone Hill coal battles.

If I didn't have a major responsibility to keep up on the Palin stuff because I've agreed to read, review and cover Joe's book at fdl, I'd probably not even be reading stuff on Palin right now. But I AM looking forward to doing the stuff with Joe.

Anonymous said...

Wow you are busy! Your projects sound very rewarding. I'm sure the convo at FDL will be interesting so I will check it out on the 25th. Cheers! Susan

Anonymous said...

We ALL have a responsibility to bring Sarah Palin down to assure she is no longer elected to a political position.

She bears the responsibility of bringing her children (two are adults now)on to the national scene and is now finally facing the anger and proof of having been a fraud and poor parent. She is being exposed in totality and it is going out across the United States FINALLY. We, in Alaska, have known her to be a fraud for a long, long time.

Sad to say, but her daughter, Bristol, is mirroring her mother and that is very, very sad. The children will be scared by their mother and father for the rest of their lives.