Monday, July 7, 2008

Mungered!

"Mungered! Drat it all!"

That might have been Jefferson Davis's exclamation after his capture by a patrol of Federal cavalry on May 10, 1865. He was on his way to Cuba. A trooper named Munger noted that one of the "women" in a party of wagoneers breaking camp was wearing some very expensive cavalry boots below "her" skirts. Questions to the "lady" ensued, resulting in the peaceful surrender of the President of the Confederate States of America.

The picture above left is of Michael Munger, the Libertarian candidate for Governor of North Carolina. There's also another Philip Munger out there, a professor at John Jay University in NYC. He - unlike me - is a major fundraiser for the Democratic Party in 2008. I'm a small change kind of contributor, financially.

Most of us are related to Nicholas Munger, who came to Connecticut, perhaps in 1639 He was an illegal alien, because, according to family tradition, he lied about his religion to gain his apprenticeship, and entry to that colony.

My branch moved into Texas almost 200 years later. My daddy was born in East Texas, hardscrabble poor, even by that area's standards.


Two of the best writer/journalists in Alaska pushed back today at my rant about Sen. Stevens, and Alaska journalists, posted last week. I have enormous respect for both, and one is a recent, close friend. I'm going to take some time in getting an answer ready, because they both deserve at least that much on this.

I hadn't seen the term "Mungered" in years. The last time I discussed it with anyone until today was with the South Anchorage dentist, Dr. Tom Munger, the well-known early Iditarod race volunteer, back in the late 1970s.

Whatever. Talking about "Mungered" before dinner, we got some good laughs. Sort of re-introduced into the family vocabulary in a curious, cool way.

Update - Wednesday at 5:55 p.m: North Carolina Libertian Party gubernatorial candidate and Chairman of the Political Science Department at Duke University, Mike Munger posted a comment. He wants a better picture of himself up, I think. Mike notes:

That picture was taken three years ago. It was when I was growing out my hair, to donate it.

My wife had cancer, and I grew out my hair to donate it to "Locks of Love."


She got better, after five operations. My hair got longer, and I donated it!


Now, my hair short, and my wife is healthy.


That's a wonderful story!

He also hopes for a link to his campaign web site. Also, he was mentioned in a Newsweek column by George Will, on Libertarian Party candidates, last Spring.

note: there are several competing versions of the capture of Jeff Davis, as Shelby Foote has covered so well...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael Munger excuse my stare, but you have got the biggest hair!

Political cartoonists must love him! He's like Flavio with a bob!

Philip Munger said...

I'd been waiting for an excuse to put that guy up on this site. Thanks, Dillon!

Unknown said...

ahhh, as one who has been Mungered in the past, it's nice to see not one but two bloggers post with the title...
btw - where in east texas Phil? email me the answer, my family goes way back there pre-alaska.

Brendan

Philip Munger said...

Caldwell, Texas.

Michael Munger said...

Aw, now, guys!

That picture was taken three years ago. It was when I was growing out my hair, to donate it.

My wife had cancer, and I grew out my hair to donate it to "Locks of Love."

She got better, after five operations. My hair got longer, and I donated it!

Now, my hair short, and my wife is healthy.

Glad you enjoyed the old picture, though. Check out my new look, at this site...

Best Mungered Regards,
Mike

Philip Munger said...

ROFLMAO, Mike!

I'm stsrting to follow your race, and have updated this post to link to your site.

Phil

Philip Munger said...

Mike Munger,

the link in your comment above doesn't work, so I'm assuming you were trying to link to the campaign site.

Michael Munger said...

Good lord.

Yes, thanks, Philip. I guess I don't TYPE very well. Nice catch. Thanks for putting up the correct site.

I Mungered myself.

Mike

Philip Munger said...

Good Luck! Prof. Munger

Anonymous said...

Nice catch. Thanks for putting up the correct site.