Thursday, January 15, 2009

Questioning My Existence

There's nothing worse than being reviled by your governor as a "bored, anonymous, pathetic blogger who lie[s], unless it is having your own existence questioned.

I brought this up tangentially, when I wondered why so few news sources were interested in checking out Steve Braun's Los Angeles Times and David Talbot's Salon.com coverage of my post here in which I recounted one of my three conversations on creationism, over a nine-year period, with Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

I've known her for over 18 years now, so the conversations had more context than went into my post or the articles. Some of the subsequent telephone, email and radio interviews I did on this added context.

I just discovered this TV segment from CNN's Anderson Cooper this evening, at a fact-check web site:


That video is part of a comment string that debates the veracity of my claims about Sarah Palin's religious beliefs on the age of the earth and the return of Jesus. Some at this site dismiss me as incapable of being honest about this because I'm a liberal. Others go to the quotes from my article or the articles based upon it.

None bothers to point out that in June 1997, when my conversation with Palin occurred, most of the people in her church believed exactly the same things she told me she believed. Why should she have been different?

And accounts of my two subsequent conversations with her in this century fail to note that my remembrance of her evolving beliefs on creationism closely reflected what a person switching from an Assemblies of God congregation to a Bible Church to statewide politics might easily have preferred to articulate.

But this comment is both noteworthy and strange:

I’m sure the particular quote referenced by CNN is false but that does not mean that other quotes are false. They are hiding the truth (Palins beliefs) among other information that can be proven to be false. We should ask her directly. Maybe the media has already but I have not seen it yet. This is really important - think about it - the ramifications of such a belief! CNN should interview Philip Munger. Ask Munger!!!

Assuming this person exists.


Assuming this person exists?

I just pinched myself.

Ouch!......whew.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This petroleum becomes oil if the amount of heating and pressure on the source rock is sufficient but not too much. To put it simply oil is considered “mature” petroleum, whereas source rocks that were heated less or more than is required to reach the mature level yield less oil and more natural gas. This occurs in a time frame of 10 to more than 300 million years A rich source rock contains 2% petroleum, while a very rich source rock contains 5% petroleum. (USGS, 1987)

This is "fact" It takes oil and petroleum this long to form.
So the next time this energy expert Gov. talks about Creationism, maybe some one should ask her to reconcile her beliefs and her energy expertness.

Manthony said...

You don't seem very "bored" or "pathetic" or "anonymous" to me!

When I read an article elsewhere that quoted her about that I immediately thought about this site. Seems like if you were actually the "pathetic" blogger she claims, she wouldn't even need to address the issue.