Thursday, November 6, 2008

Begich-Stevens Race Update

From Bethany Lesser at the Alaska Democrats:

Hey, just wanted to send you guys a quick update on what numbers we’re seeing today.

The latest information from the Alaska Division of Elections is that so far, there are 58,475 early and absentee votes that have not been counted yet, and 16,052 question (provisional) ballots left. That means there are up to 74,527 ballots left to be counted in the Alaska Senate Race.

Mark Begich is only down 3,257, so this race is far from over. As a side note, on Election Day, Begich won Elmendorf Air Force Base, Fort Richardson, and Fort Wainwright, bucking the notion that Republicans carry military bases.

I will send along additional information as we get it. Hope this helps – as always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked the Ft. Rich Poll. At the end of the evening Ft. Rich voted for McCain but they chose Berkowitz and Begich! I have worked the Poll there for about 2 1/2 years. It was REALLY shocking for me to see them even vote for the Dems. I think Begich still has a chance after seeing that.

Anonymous said...

In many states, the military supported Obama over McCain by a margin of 7:1.

I know from my time in the UK military the one thing that really annoyed me was conservative politicians who talked a great story about supporting troops, but never backed that up with things like equipment, pay or benefits.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the real vote was for Begich. But then again who knows in a world where so many Alaskans mysteriously decide against voting in an election involving their own Governor as a candidate for VP.

Perhaps they were just embarrassed by her. Perhaps they knew that the race was over by the time they left work to vote. Somehow I doubt it though.