Thursday, January 6, 2011

Neklason Lake Ice Pictures

I went out onto Neklason Lake early this afternoon to go skating and take some photographs. It was a spectacularly beautiful day, with long, long shadows. My favorite subject for pictures is this lake, and my favorite subject on the lake is its ice.

The first picture is of the Chugach Mountains, featuring Matanuska Peak, from the lake:

Looking down through the three feet of ice is my local version of the Hubble Space Telescope - in reverse. Click on the images to enlarge them.
This one is my personal favorite from today's foray:

2 comments:

AKjah said...

I love the patterns. Should you find the picture in the ADN last sunday of a perhaps "Kasimir Malevich" Hold that next to the ice photo you put up last saturday or sunday. And no i wasnt smokin anything i just had your photo up when i saw the paper.

Suzanne said...

i love these ice pictures too. great eye candy and they make me think 'what could have caused this one'

thank you