Friday, June 27, 2008

Back From Fishing the Copper River

Tuesday evening my friend Freddie, son Alex, daughter Julia (the NCAA rowing champ) and I packed up the dip nets and other gear, loaded up on sandwiches, coffee, water and ice, and headed up the Glenn Highway toward Chitina.

Although most fishing reports from the Copper River during the week leading up to our trip had been dismal, with high water and few fish, we had to go then to fit the schedules of all four of us. We didn't have high expectations, but felt immediately rewarded by the beautiful, long sunset, driving through the upper Matanuska canyons and into the high country near Gunsite Mountain.

We all managed to get at least an hour of sleep between arriving at O'Brien Creek, and lining up with other dippers along the bank of the Copper River, to await the charter boat skippers' arrival at about 5:00 a.m. It was cold - 39 degrees - and windy. At just before 4:50 a.m, the sun came up, promising warmth in a few hours. We managed to get on the second load of fishers, with longtime friend Mark Hem at the helm of one of the most banged up, yet skillfully worked jet boats in Alaska.

The ride down the Copper River into Wood Canyon, where the multi-braided river becomes one constricted channel, never ceases to amaze me, even after fifteen years of taking the trip. The surging, downward flow of the river, forcing its way through the coastal Chugach Mountains, to reach the sea, is inexorably powerful. We rode all the way down the main throat of the canyon, and were set ashore at a feature sometimes called "Ship Rock."

Ship Rock is a very exposed outcropping, with a couple of back eddies that are among the most productive fishing spots in the areas open to dip netting. It is also very dangerous, and roping up and movement discipline are musts for fishers. We set up for three to fish, and one to deal with the catch, from up on a ledge above the water, out of the dipping zone.

Alex and I have fished here before, so we got right into the routine. I love to catch fish, but last year, as I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery, and didn't want to work my arms too hard, we found out that by having one person handle all the fish away from where they are being caught isn't just the safest way to fish the place, it is the most productive. A couple of the four nets we brought have gill net web in them, and the fish can get rather tangled. My seven years experience as a Copper River gillnetter back in the 1970s gives me an edge on how to unravel fish in the gill net web, so I cleared the fish, clipped their tail fins, strung them up, and did the paper work. Then I'd sit on my perch fifteen feet above the river, cheer leading the other three.

"King, King, King!" I'd shout. It worked twice. Both Julia and Alex had really big Kings in their nets that they couldn't manage to bag, but Julia and Freddie both caught nice 30-pounders. I did go down and catch a few while others took my spot on the ledge for a break from routine. But no Kings for me.

The early afternoon sunshine was wonderful, but I then had to keep bringing water up from a nook behind the rock, and dump the cold water onto the burlap and grass cuttings covering the fish, so they wouldn't start to spoil.

We limited out in just under seven hours, and were picked up a few minutes later. As the last of us stepped into the boat's cabin and sat her tired butt down onto the bench seat, I said a quiet prayer of thanks for our catch and for our safety.

We heard about the Exxon Valdez settlement on our way back through Glennallen. Both Freddie and I could have been plaintiffs in the suit, but chose not to participate. My theory is that a day of worrying about what one's attorneys are doing or thinking, is a day erased from the book of life.

Within 22 hours of leaving Palmer, we were back home, getting ready to brine or vacuum seal this year's Copper River bounty. As I write, the smokehouse is about to disgorge its first of three loads. My King salmon ceviche, made from the scraps left on the carcasses of the two Kings, after they had been filleted, should be ready any minute now. I think I'll steal a taste.....



CabinDweller said...

How's bout you post that ceviche recipe? Looks pretty tasty.

Anonymous said...

I second that Phil. Post the recipe you damn tease.

CelticDiva said...

I'd sure like that recipe too!

My mother-in-law is currently canning most of the 25 reds we got setnetting last weekend. We seem to use it up faster that way.

Thank God for a mother-in-law with a really big pressure cooker!

HarpboyAK said...

I have to wait a month before the net pen released hatchery reds come into Sweetheart Creek, a couple of miles south of our Snettisham Inlet hydro plant.

It's also a dipnet fishery, but a tidewater one, where you don't dare go ashore because of the brown bears fishing. You either clean them on board or go to a nearby (hopefully bear-free) island.

The limit in that personal use fishery is 25 reds per household, much better than the 5 now allowed in the Taku River personal use gillnet fishery, where I used to fish for many years when the limits were higher.

Fortunately a Tlingit friend lets me use his 40 fish smokehouse as long as his father gets the tips and jawbones. I always smoke the backbones and give them to other Tlingit elders, and make at least one batch of court-bouillon from some heads to freeze for later chowder making.

I usually try to make a good sized batch of caviar, too. Last time I fished Taku I was able to smoke some of the caviar for a few hours, just enough to give it a nice smoky overtone.

My biggest problem with processing caviar was finding the right stainless mesh, one that would pass the eggs through while preventing the sac membrane from penetrating. Brining the eggs is the easy part; getting rid of the membrane is the hard part, especially since sockeye eggs are the smallest of all Pacific salmon.

Philip Munger said...


2 or 3 cups salmon scraps cut into little (1/8 by 1/2 by 1/4 inch approx.) slices

6 or more limes, juiced - throw in the pulp without seeds

1 small bermuda onion, diced roughly

1/4 cup cilantro, cut medium

1/4 cup lemon basil, cut medium

1/4 cup basil, cut medium

different kinds of peppers, finely diced - 2 cups

3 ounces anejo tequila

freshly ground pepper

mix and toss every six hours

ready in less than 24 hours
best within 48 hours

bharani said...

your dishes is different.will try it in my mom will do it better. i hope so.your tips is good.
Addiction Recovery Alaska
Addiction Recovery Alaska

red said...

thank you


Anonymous said...

Remembered the first time I played the game and bought Lineage 2 gold , it is about two years. Since the first day I bought Lineage gold , we should know that the day will come sooner or later. And I will not leave my Lineage money . My friends forever, even though I will leave you one day, I will remember you forever. At that time, I was a naive; I must used money to have Lineage 2 money , as that I would not depend on myself. But I was not regret to buy it. It is just a way bring me to the success.

Anonymous said...

It is a very nice game silkroad gold, I like sro gold. You can play it silkroad online gold, you can buy the cheap silk road gold. You smart and buy cheap silkroad gold.